What worked well:
IGF Preparatory meetings: Efficient and effective
IGF: The variety and volume of workshops worked very
well and brought a dynamic to the discussions. They complemented the
main sessions by deep-diving into the issues. The openness session was
particularly well moderated and debated.
What worked less well:
- IGF Preparatory meetings: Not enough discussions on substance and
concrete output. Very short deadlines for submission of written
contributions. Very late decisions made on main themes and direction of
- IGF: Main sessions were too ambitious and tried to cover too many
issues leaving little time to examine key issues in depth. This made it
difficult to retain key messages. Discussions were sometimes overly
- Moderators interaction with the audience during the main sessions
could have been better organised and, where possible, orchestrated. The
real meaning of some interventions from the floor/audience was not well
captured and explored by the moderators/panels. Not enough time spent on
questions/issues coming from the floor.
- Several workshops were too general and could have been more focused.
Workshop reporting back to main sessions could be improved: wide
variations on what/how to report back.
Suggestions for improvements:
- IGF Preparatory meetings: more time for written submissions. Earlier
agreement on IGF themes and workshop proposals.
- IGF: More attention and focus on specific themes/issues. Consider
fewer panelists for each main session. Better/more prepration between
moderators and panelists. Greater attention on what/how to report back
on workshops in main sessions.
Other comments suggestions:
- Maintain the technical/expert focus/approach of the IGF. Promote
the diversity of expertise in the main sessions and in the
- Preference for roundtable approach to discussions instead of
platform face-to-face configuation. Wi-fi access poor. Overpriced
and limited provision of food and drinks. .
- Yes, the synthesis paper provided an interesting and needed
overview. Yes, it should be prepared for the IGF 2007 albeit
building in more time to submit written contributions and having
access to the synthesis paper earlier/before the IGF.